Fat Ironman

Thursday, March 09, 2006

God is Good, All the time



This Blog hasn't been overtly religious in nature, but today I am just really overcome with how good God is. Even without all of the reasons I have for my faith, some of the best are when the Bible was right about stuff long ago that we are still just figuring out. God told the Israelites about 4000 years ago that they should have a day of rest every seven days. He told them to rest the land from farming every seven years, and that every 50th year was a year of Jubilee, where they feasted and generally took it easy for the year!

About 20 years ago endurance athletes started to understand periodization, and the importance of taking the volume and intensity of training down significantly every few weeks. I have read that many times pro triathletes don't perform their best at the ironman in October because they hit it too hard in January. I read on 1997 Ironman champ Heather Fuhr's website that she has to get out of shape in December to really get back into shape. Even superstars like Fuhr, one of the best runners in ironman racing, have to have a time of rest. It shouldn't be a surprise. God told us all about that back in 1446 B.C.




Why all this, well this week is a "recovery" week where I am taking it a bit easy before I hit it hard for 3 weeks and then begin my marathon taper. I have been kinda sleeping in and I have been riding the beautiful Felt s32 and doing some swimming. God knew what he was talking about and still does, because I am feeling better.

I posted a couple of pictures of how I looked at my last real triathlon, the '04 US Half Triathlon Championships. That was me at 208 or so. I still have 10 lbs to lose to get back to that point, and then I have about 30-35 to lose before ironday. I have been eating a bit better, lots more fruit and veggies, lots of tuna sandwiches, and broth based soups. Hopefully the scale will reward me.

Time for me to get out of here!
God is Good!
-Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home